About Us

The Rackard League

Cumann na mBunscol Loch Garman

The Rackard League was founded in 1955 by the late Nickey Rackard and the primary teachers of County Wexford. At the inaugural meeting in the Talbot Hotel in Wexford, it was felt necessary to set up a structured competition for children attending primary school and to capitalize on the great interest in gaelic games in the county in the mid 1950s.  

Nickey Rackard donated the cup for the hurling and the teachers donated the cup for the football both of which are still in use today.  


Previous to this there had been various schools competitions but due to the problems of travel and communications these were of a localised variety and there was no county wide structure in place. At this time, there were no other under-age competitions in the county up to the juvenile grade so this was the first competition to cater for children of national school age.   

Rural schools only competed as urban schools had their own competitions. 1986 saw major changes with the admission of the town schools and the introduction of different grades in the competitions. The Rackard League also affiliated to the national body, Cumann na mBunscol, in that year.

Camogie and Girls Football competitions were introduced in the late 1980s and handball, rounders and athletics as well as the Mini-Sevens are now run by the Rackard League. Rackard League winners receive a specially struck medal bearing the image of Nickey Rackard  in the form of  a Celtic cross, plated in 22 carat gold.


Rackard League Medal