16 Jun 2016

Kilrush boys survive late Barntown fightback

0 Comment

Kilrush 1-8 Barntown 2-3

Kilrush were made sweat in the final minutes of this Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Rackard League Roinn B hurling final as Barntown mounted a dramatic fightback in the dying moments. For a large proportion of the game, the result looked to be tied up until a couple of late goals brought Barntown right back into contention.

It was Kilrush who looked much stronger earlier in play. A Colm Fortune free and a great Jake Moorehead score opened up a two point lead. Then on ten minutes, Danny Ascott tussled well to set up Jake Moorehead for a powerful goal. It looked as if Kilrush would overwhelm Barntown with these repeated attacks but some great goalkeeping from the impressive Josh Carley and some resolute defending led by captain Tommy Gallagher, Lughaigh Hayden and Conor Lyne kept Barntown firmly in the game. As scores dried up for Kilrush, it took a spectacular point from half back Eamon Corrigan and another Colm Fortune free to bring their first half tally up to 1-4. Barntown had less first half chances and had to be content with two first half frees from Alan Mahony. This was largely due to a well organised and determined Kilrush defence marshalled by centre back Sean Kehoe.

The second half saw Barntown grow in confidence and they were unlucky not to be in for a goal when Alan Mahony broke through. A pointed free brought the distance between the teams back to four points. Kilrush then regained their composure up front to have a powerful three minute spell on 35 minutes. Colm Fortune stuck over two fantastic long range frees in what were now terrible, wet conditions and Jake Moorehead got another important score from distance to open up a eight point lead. When Stephen Kenny got a driving score on the forty minute mark, the title looked destined to go to Kilrush.

Barntown had a lot to say about that however, particularly Daragh Murphy who was outstanding in the second half. He repeatedly pumped quality ball up the field and also carried well as his team chased the game. It was one of his trademark booming long range frees that set up teammate Cian Turner for a lovely goal to spark a comeback. Daragh was then called up for a close in free that he duly buried into the back of the net to put three points between the teams.

In the end, time simply ran out for the Barntown boys as Kilrush dropped deep and composed themselves for the remaining minutes. This ensured a great result for the Kilrush boys who have now won three Rackard League hurling titles in the last four years. Also, a great year overall for the Barntown boys who appeared in their first final after making the decision to split from Glynn (who Kilrush defeated in their semi-final.) A lot of Barntown players were in Fifth Class so next year they will be out for revenge. Watch this space.

Kilrush: Adam O’Donoghue, David Kirwan, Ben O’Donoghue, Brian Kirwan, Eamon Corrigan, Seán Kehoe, Pa Mahon, Stephen Kenny, Jake Moorehead, Sean Kenny, Charlie O’Sullivan, Colm Fortune, William Kenny, Danny Ascott, Robert McCrea, Eamon Carr, Brendan Clarke, Jack Mackey, Robbie Quinn, John Joe Murphy, Piaras Murphy, Daniel O’Neil, Darragh O’Toole, Darragh Dee, Niall Mimnagh, Calum Ryan, Mark Devereux, Dean Black, Pairic Guinan, Patrick Murphy, William Wilson

Barntown: Josh Carley, Cathal Rowe, Tommy Gallagher, Lughaidh Hayden, Cian White, Conor Lyne, Daragh Murphy, Callum McDonald, Alan Mahony, Ferdia Reynolds, James Boggan, Alex Breen, Liam Donoghue, Sean Cooney, Cian Turner, Ben Redmond, Fionn Callaghan, Kevin Rowe, Aaron Nolan, Maurice Redmond, Josh Murphy, Will Hayes, Daniel Brazzil, Paddy O’Leary