25 May 2019

No goals thriller sees Kilanerin come out on top

0 Comment

Kilanerin 0-12 Bannow 0-2

After a decade of many missed opportunities at the county semi-final stage, Kilanerin finally made it to this year’s Allianz Cumann na mBunscol Rackard League Roinn C decider. Standing in their way, was a determined Bannow outfit who were also on the lookout for glory. The result was a teak, tough encounter where scores were hard to by over the hour.

This was a game where both defences remained on top and the middle third became an intense battlefield. Across the field, there were some very entertaining match-ups. Harry Murphy constantly ran at Fergal Noctor in an attempt to terrorize the Kilanerin goal, Kian Rossiter stopped Eoin Hughes from doing the same to Bannow and Kyle Cleary and Jack Gethings brought their battle all over the pitch from midfield.

While Jack Gething’s accurate frees would prove vital to Kilanerin’s success, intelligent team play and smart passing also helped to break the deadlock. Rory Cooper set up Max Buggy for the game’s first score just before Eoin Hughes slipped through for a point and then set up teammate Jack Gethings for another. Bannow were finding it hard to bypass the excellent Kilanerin backline where Morgan Timmons in particular was immense at full back.

In the second half, Kilanerin got the first score when hard-working corner forward Cody Lawless set up wingback Mikey Hughes for a point out the field. Bannow gained momentum and scores through two Conor Quigley frees and the crowd waited with bated breath for the goal that never came. Both goalkeepers played out of their skins and somehow managed to keep a clean sheet each. Patrick Quigley in the Bannow goal was particularly exceptional as time and time again he denied certain scores with confidence and control.

Eoin Hughes and Jack Gethings created some breathing space on the scoreboard with further points for their team as the clock ticked on. Some quick thinking saw speedy wing forward Jamie Hughes get a nice point from a quickly taken free. With Bannow on the rise, Kilanerin made a couple of changes to see out the game. Two of these subs, Cathal Fitzpatrick and Ciarán Gethings, did great work when their chance came.

With the game almost over, Bannow threw everything at Kilanerin and Kian Rossiter almost scored a goal only for Ben Furlong to jump in with a brave block. Kilanerin netminder Conor Grannell was also forced to make an impressive diving save.

After years of waiting, Kilanerin were delighted to hear the final whistle and now look forward to going up to the top division to take on the big guns of the small ball next year. A special note to both sets of teachers who agreed to play 15-a-sidel when the competition was 13-a-side. It is always good to see more children given a chance to represent their school and club in a final.

Kilanerin: Conor Grannell, Jack Ryan, Morgan Timmons, Charlie Fleming, Fergal Noctor, Vincent Higgins, Michael Hughes, Jack Gethings, Jamie Hughes, Eoin Hughes, Patrick Rooney, Cody Lawless, Max Buggy, Darragh Gethings, Olan Tighe, Patrick Boland, Aaron Gethings, Rory Cooper, Cathal Fitzpactrick, Ciarán Gethings, Ben Hughes, Niall Harnett, Ben Furlong, Darragh Forde, Harry O’ Sullivan, Peter Redmond, Ben Kenny, Miguel Vinós

Bannow: Patrick Quigley, Daniel Sinnott, James Breen, Craig Sinnott, Alec Moran, Kian Rossiter, Bobby Murphy, Kyle Cleary, Cian Cummins, Harry Murphy, Conor Quigley, Jack Cleary, Tommie Rossiter, Dylan Hayes, Cameron Whelan, Conor Millar, Mikey Kent, John Gaul, Ian Fleming, Patrick Murphy